Well, more a case of things I learned last week. I haven’t done one of these for a while, but it’s been an interesting few weeks, with a lot going on in the world of the UK’s most controversial IT journalist, good, bad and a bit quirky, so here goes:
1) My Macbook is proving to be one of my best investments of the year.
2) I need to spend less…..well, a bit less ☺
3) I need to sort out my credit cards, no doubt the same problem most of the population is struggling with.
4) Running a V6 can be bloody expensive, even when there’s nothing wrong with it!
5) Why the hell are people getting interested in LinkedIn (again) all of a sudden. It hasn’t changed, its still uninspiring, and like most social networking apps, it doesn’t really offer anything useful – it’s just a way of emailing your contacts that’s even slower and more cumbersome than just sending them a group email.
6) Wind turbines are cool!
7) We need to bring back hanging for society’s most heinous crimes – murder, manslaughter, rape, child molestation, treason and fraud against the state.
8) Too many people have absolutely no respect for the law and their fellow citizens, and I’m convinced that hanging a few of them (but ideally a lot of them) by their necks, even just as an example to others, will send out a powerful message to the rest of society to grow up and stop behaving like animals.
9) It’s a police force, not a police service – law enforcement should be feared and respected, not considered to be a toothless, politically-correct joke like it is right now.
10) Lastminute.com can come up with the goods when you least expect it.
11) I hadn’t realised how much I needed a holiday until I was told my original holiday plans had been cancelled.
12) easyCruise is alright!
13) TV in August is always rubbish – why!
14) The UK mobile phone market is starting to suffer really badly from the delay to the launch of the iPhone – all the mobile phone makers are holding back their good stuff until they see what they are up against, meaning that most of what’s on the market, with the exception of maybe Motorola, is looking old and uninspired.
15) Unrelated, but the Motorola Q9H is easily the best Windows Mobile-based smartphone I’ve encountered.
16) With the exception of the above, Windows Mobile-based anything usually means it’ll be crap!
17) Cancelling my Virgin Media (aka Telewest) cable modem was something I should have done a long time ago.
18) All Wi-Fi hardware is not created equal, even when it’s supposed to conform to the same standard!
19) Looking forward to watching Postal and colleague-spotting.
20) I need to write more features.
21) Getting frustrated with the PVR in my bedroom – it’s good, but I really need one that can record two Freeview channels at once.
22) Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip is brilliant, and as usual, a US show I really like (Invasion, Line of Fire, etc) gets nuked after one season. Bah!
23) I need a new laptop bag – any suggestions?
24) Looks like QPR is about to be bought by someone who actually has some money – at last!