It’s going to be a busy few weeks for me – I’m already half way into a huge travel schedule (San Francisco last week, got back yesterday nght from Frankfurt, off to Brussels next week and Barcelona the week after – with the possibility of New York the week after that) and I’ve still got a bucket load of techy stuff to catch up with.
For a start, I need to install Leopard. The plan is to deploy this on my main Mac mini (the Intel one) first, as I need to rebuild my desktop Mac OS X install anyway, so I’m going to do it as a clean install, and then rebuild from there. Once I know everything is working and compatible, I’m going to nuke and rebuild the Macbook. As it is now on its third hard drive since I bought it (started with the factory-fit 80GB, then upgraded to a 160GB, then downgraded to a 120GB with the intention of putting the 160GB in the Mac mini – BTW, anyone know what bits of a Mac mini I need to dismantle to do that – most I’ve done to one is take the lid off to fit more RAM?) the current Tiger install is starting to complain a bit, as its objecting to having been cloned from one drive to another, to another.
Besides, I think it is always best to move to a new OS with a clean install, it s agood opportunity to dump all that software you don’t use, debris on your system and any trial or demo software that may be on it.
The thing is finding the time. Doing surgery on the Mac mini before installing Leopard is going to take a bit of time, so I’m guessing I’ll lose a day just doing the hardware swap and initial OS install. I’ve also got a load of PCs that need bringing up to day and back into use (I built two machines recently, one to use as a Media Centre, the other as a new, albeit short-term, desktop capable of running Vista).
And I need to have another big eBay clearout. I’ve noticed that the floor in the study is disappearing again, as is space in the DVD cabinets.
So here’s the plan:
- Reinstall Leopard on 1.2Ghz PowerPC Mac mini (which is currently living in the office and is already running Leopard for review purposes, must bring that machine home and make work buy me a Mac, or start billing work for use of my hardware)
- Upgrade internal 2.5inch hard drive in Intel Mac mini
- Install Leopard on Intel Mac mini
- Reinstall Mac software, make sure everything works with Leopard
- Nuke Macbook and reinstall with Leopard
- Install Leopard on 1.4Ghz PowerPC Mac mini
- Reinstall Compaq laptop with Vista (having now worked out that it is in fact Vista that keeps making it hang, and not duff RAM, I think it needs a clean install, and some more compatible drivers. Also, undecided which version to install, as it’s graphics card is modest and it doesn’t support the funky graphics stuff)
- Install Vista Ultimate on the new temporary desktop machine
- Install Vista Ultimate on the new Media Centre machine
- Decide finally which room the Media Centre is actually going to live in
- Nuke and reinstall Gateway laptop with Windows XP, give to mother to replace elderly P3 desktop machine
- Nuke and reinstall test PC with a triple-boot of Windows XP, Vista Ultimate and some form of Linux, probably Ubuntu or Linspire – not sure yet
- Set up new NAS box
- Remove cable modem and associated wiring from study
- Build wall-mounted charging rack for portable devices (an ideal I am shamelessly stealing from Cali Lewis)
- eBay clearout of items I have bought that I no longer want/need/use/can’t remember why I bought in the first place
Well – that’s the plan at least. All I need now are 12-day week with 5-day weekends and 32-hour days!